I got this wonderful recipe from a Taste of Home mega book. It's 3 Halloween cookbooks in one and I love every bit of it! This one is on page 20, and let me tell you, these are crowd pleasers for sure! And O so tasty!!
* 1 cup butter, softened
* 1 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1 egg
* 1 tsp. vanilla extract
* 1 tsp. almond extract (I just use an extra tsp. of vanilla)
* 2 3/4 cups flour
* 1 tsp. baking powder
* 1 tsp. salt
* Red decorating gel
* 1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
2. Beat in the egg and extracts.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to work with.
4. Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll into 1-inch balls.
5. Shape balls into fingers. Using the flat tip of a table knife, make an indentation on one end of each finger for the fingernail. With the knife, make slashes for knuckles. Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets (or on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet). Bake at 325 for about 15-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
7. Squeeze small amount of red gel on nail bed; press sliced almond over gel for nail (sometimes I slide it gently into the cookie). Remove to wire racks to cool.
Yield: 5 dozen (or less, it all depends on the size of your fingers!)
*Have a spooktacular time with these scary fingers!!*