This recipe comes from my favorite low carb/diabetes cookbook, Eat What You Love by Marlene Koch. We got to go to the farmer's market last week and we had some zucchinis leftover, so I thought, why not try out this recipe AND my new grater that the fabulous Emily G. got me! :-) Thanks again for the b-day present, it worked great!! So here's the recipe!
Fresh Zucchini Muffins
* 1 cup grated zucchini
* 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
* 1 large egg
* 1 large egg white (3 T. of liquid egg white works)
* 1 tsp. vanilla extract
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
* 2/3 cup Splenda granulated sweetener
* 2 T. light brown sugar
* 1 tsp. baking soda
*2 tsp. baking powder
* 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
* 3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (I used pumpkin pie spice)
* 1/4 cup shortening
1. Preheat oven to 375. Lightly spray 12 muffin cups lined with muffin liners.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the zucchini, buttermilk, egg and egg white, and vanilla extract.
3. In a large bowl, combine both flours, splenda, brown sugar, baking soda and powder, cinnamon and nutmeg (or pumpkin pie spice). Using your fingers or knives, cut shorting into mixture until thoroughly incorporated. Make a well in the center.
4. Pour in zucchini mixture and stir until the dry ingredients are moistened.
5. Spoon batter evenly into muffin tins, filling each cup 2/3 full. Bake 12-15 minutes or until the center springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes before removing to wire rack.
1.5 saturated fat
210 mg sodium