This is another cookie from my favorite cookie book! (P. 74)
My grandma (the best cook EVER) even commended me on how well these came out! It was a HUGE compliment!
The directions on this cookie were a little funky. I think I was actually supposed to save the candy cane/sugar mix to scatter on the end..but I mixed it in the dough...Next time I will try it the right way!
Candy Cane Cookies
* 1/3 cup finely crushed peppermit candy
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup shortening
* 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
* 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
* 1 egg, slightly beaten
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon almond extract
* 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
1. Combine candy and sugar and set aside.
2. Cream shortening and butter in a large mixing bowl.
3. Gradually add 1 c. powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
4. Add egg, beat well. Stir in flavorings (I'm assuming this means extracts, but I added extracts AND candy..only add extracts!). Add flour and salt; mix well.
5. Divide dough in half. Tint half with food coloring. Shape a pinch of each into logs and then twist together.
(Flour helps during this process--but because I added the sugary mixture, the dough kept falling apart, so I gave up and did 2 balls of each color) Place cookies on an UNGREASED cookie sheet.
6. Bake at 375 for 9 minutes or just until edges brown. Remove cookies from sheets while warm; immediately coat with candy mixture (yea..this is when I was like, oops!). Cool completely on wire racks.
Yield: 4 dozen