Sunday, October 13, 2013

Lentil Chili

I only recently stumbled upon lentils. For the longest time I thought they were these weird green things (I think I thought they were leeks), but then I discovered they are a powerhouse legume and nice and low in fat! I made an entire bag of them (yes, they are also cheap!) and played around with them. I made some stuff tex-mex peppers, but I was dying to try them in a chili. I searched pinterest and found this recipe. You can see the original recipe here. I decided to almost double the recipe so that I could have some extra to freeze. I really enjoyed this one and can't wait to pull it out again soon!


Lentil Chili


Ingredients:
* 2 tsp. olive oil
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1-2 peppers, diced (I had a bag I froze myself)
* 4 tsp. minced garlic (I used jarred)
* 4 Tbsp. chili powder
* 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
* 2 tsp. dried oregano
* 1/4 tsp. red pepper
* 1 (16oz) bag green lentils
* 28oz. of vegetable broth
* 3-6 cups water
* Small can of tomato paste

Directions:

1. Saute onions, peppers and garlic in a stock pot.

2. Add everything else except tomato paste. Cover and simmer until lentils are soft (about an hour). Make sure to keep an eye on it because you may need to add more water.

3. Add tomato paste, stir, and let simmer another 15 minutes.

4. Enjoy and freeze! I like to top mine with low fat sour cream and 2% shredded cheese. YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment