Sunday, October 13, 2013

Tomato Basil Soup

This was the first recipe I used my immersion blender with. I am obsessed with tomato soup, so I just had to try it out on my own! I love how easy and low cal this recipe is. It's also very tasty, though I will say, you shouldn't expect this soup to be creamy as it only has greek yogurt to do that job. I modified the original recipe from here.

Tomato Basil Soup


Ingredients:
* 1 tsp. olive oil
* 1 sweet onion, chopped
* 2 cloves of garlic, chopped (I used the jarred kind)
* 2 (28oz.) cans diced tomatoes (I used 4 (14oz) cans, some were garlic fire roasted, oregano/garlic/onion, etc.)
* 2 cups vegetable broth
* 1/2 cup basil, chopped
* 2 tsp. oregano
* 1 tsp. sugar
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt


Directions:

1. Warm oil in bottom of large pan. 

2. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 4 min.

3. Add garlic and cook another 2 min.

4. Add in all ingredients except the greek yogurt. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes.

5. Add in the greek yogurt and use an immersion blender (or regular blender) to puree the soup to a consistency of your choosing.

6. Enjoy or freeze for later! I like to double the batch and freeze 3/4 of it for Winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment