Sunday, March 11, 2012

(basic) Pancakes NOT from a box

So this recipe comes from my first real cookbook that my grandma gave me on my 13th birthday. It is one of my fav's, and I've made this recipe on more than 1 account. It is a simple and very basic pancake recipe, and a great building block for different pancake possibilities! :-) 
(Clueless in the Kitchen, page 41)



Ingredients:
* 1 1/4 cups flour
* 1 Tbsp. sugar
* 1 Tbsp. baking powder
* 1 egg
* 1 cup milk
* 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
* ~1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional: my mom taught me this back when I was little enough to sit on the counter while she mixed pancakes and no matter what kind of pancakes I make I ALWAYS add a little bit of vanilla)


Directions:

1. In a medium bowl, stir together the 1 1/4c. flour, 1T. sugar, and 1T. baking powder.

2. In another bowl beat together the egg, 1c. milk, and 2T. veg oil.

3. Add egg mix to flour and mix until just combined--a few lumps are OK, then add 1t. vanilla.

4. Heat a griddle or well-oiled frying pan to medium heat. Pour by 1/4 cups on hot surface and spread out evenly. (If the batter is to thick to pour, add milk, if it is too thin, add flour). 

5. Allow pancake to cook until bubbles appear on the top, then flip is over and let the other side cook until golden brown. (In this pic I added chocolate chips, but it shows the bubbles well)

6. Once you get good you can cook 2-3 at a time..or even make a mickey mouse...how-to to follow:



Making a Mickey Pancake

1. Make a circle.

2. Add one ear.

3. Add another ear.

4. Give him a chocolate chip smiley.

5. Wait for it to bubble. Flip.

6. Voila!




No comments:

Post a Comment