Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Puppy Chow Cookies

Another....Pinterest find! I am a sucker for "puppy chow" or as most people know it, "Muddy Buddies". When I saw this recipe, I KNEW I had to give it a try. The fact that it was also gluten-free made it a plus since I have a couple friends with allergies to gluten. These didn't taste quite the same as puppy chow, but they were still quite yummy! I would make them again! The original recipe can be found here. The main change I made was how I coated the cookies. 

Puppy Chow Cookies


Ingredients:

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies with Chex Cereal:
* 1 Cup of Peanut Butter
* 1 Cup of Sugar
* 1 Egg
* 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda
* 1 tsp Vanilla
* 1 cup Rice Chex Cereal
* Pinch of Salt for sprinkling (optional)

Coating:
* 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk chocolate)
* 1/4 Cup of Butter (or 2 Tbsp. coconut oil)
* Approx. 1 Cup Powdered Sugar


Directions:
* Preheat oven to 350F

1. In a large bowl mix together 1c. PB, 1c. sugar, 1 egg, 1/2t. baking soda and 1t. vanilla.  Beat until well-blended.  Mixture will be crumbly. 

2. Lightly crush the Chex cereal into the PB mixture. (I crumbled with my hands). Mix with beater.

3. Carefully squish into small, teaspoon sized balls and place about an inch apart on a nonstick baking sheet. Dough will be very crumbly so be careful and think small!

4. Press balls of dough lightly with a fork.  Cross and press again.  Sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake for 9 minutes in the oven until cookies are slightly golden.

5. Let cookies cool completely. 

6. Melt chocolate in the microwave in a bowl. Mix in the butter or oil to make it easier to mix.

7. At this point the recipe suggests dipping each cookie and adding to a bag of sugar. This was too much for me, so I put all the cookies in a large bowl and added the chocolate and stirred (like I do with normal puppy chow).

8. Next add powdered sugar to a large container and carefully add the cookies. Shake carefully to make sure everything is coated. 


*It is suggested to store these in the fridge, though I just did an airtight container. 



No comments:

Post a Comment