Friday, March 21, 2014

Lasagna Soup

This recipe was suggested to me from one of my new good friends from school, Stephanie! I believe she posted a bowl of this goodness on Facebook one day and I had to have the recipe. I decided to make it for a teacher lunch since we really don't need this much goodness in our house while me and my husband are dieting. :-P I served it up with our favorite homemade Italian bread


Lasagna Soup



Ingredients:
Soup:
* 2 tsp. olive oil (I would leave this out. The sausage produces a lot of fat)
* 1.5 lb. Italian Sausage
* 3 cups onion, chopped
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 tsp. dried oregano (I used italian seasoning)
* 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
* 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
* 1 (28oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
* 2 bay leaves
* 6 cups chicken stock
* Salt and Pepper to taste

Cheesy Yum:
* 8oz. ricotta
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* Pinch of ground pepper
* 2 cups mozzarella, shredded

Toppings:
* 8 oz. pasta (I used rigatoni)
* 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (for topping)
* Additional mozzarella


Directions:


1. Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add the sausage, breaking it into tiny pieces. Brown for about 5 minutes.

2. Add the onions and cooked until softened, about 6 minutes.

3. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes, then cook an additional minute.

4. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook 3-4 minutes or until paste turns rusty brown.

5. Add the diced tomatoes, chicken stock and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. At this point you may choose to add pasta and cook until al dente (barely cooked), but I just cooked mine separately to ensure it didn't get overcooked.

6. While the soup cooks, make the cheesy yum by combining all ingredients listed under "cheesy yum". 

7. To serve place basil, noodles, and cheesy yum into a bowl, then spoon soup over top. Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment