I am a new lover of bread pudding, and this recipe was YUMMY especially for the portion and point value! It comes from my diabetic cookbook (Forbidden Foods) on page 203.
* 4oz. crustless day old whole-wheat bread, torn into bite-size pieces
* 2 Tbsp. Raisins, chopped (I left this out)
* 1 cup evaporated fat-free milk
* 1 cup 1% milk
* 2 eggs (I used egg beaters)
* 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar (I used light)
* 2 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (I left this out)
* 1/2 teaspoon grated orange or lemon zest (I left this out too)
1. Spray an 8x8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange the bread pieces evenly in the pan and sprinkle with raisins.
2. In a medium bowl, beat together 1c. FF evaporated milk, 1c. 1% milk, 2 eggs, 1/4c. brown sugar, 2t. vanilla, 1 1/2t, cinnamon, 1/4t. nutmeg, and zest.
3. Pour the mixture over the bread and refrigerate 30 minutes, periodically pressing the bread down to absorb the liquid.
4. Preaheat oven to 325.
5. Pull the oven rack out and place a roasting pan. Add the bread pudding pan, then carefully pour in 1/2 inch boiling water to roasting pan.
6. Bake until the pudding is puffed and golden brown, about 45-55 minutes. Cool on rack 10 minutes.
7. Serve warm and enjoy!