This recipe came from a HG email and I just knew I had to try it. Luckily drumsticks went on sale at Kroger last week for 88 cents/lb.! So I ended up getting 12 drumsticks for only $3.30! The biggest and most painful part of this recipe was getting the skin off the drumstick. If I repeat this recipe I will need to figure out an easier way to get the skin off. You can find the original recipe here.
HG Crispity Crunchity Drumsticks
* 6 raw drumsticks, skin removed
* 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
* 1/2 cup fiber one cereal, grinded up (I pre-ground this stuff and keep it on hand, just use half the amount listed if it is already ground up)
* 1 1/4 tsp. black pepper
* 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
* 3/4 tsp. onion powder
* 3/4 tsp. ground oregano (I used italian seasoning)
* 1/4 tsp. chili powder
* 1/4 cup fat free liquid egg substitute
* Optional: any additional seasonings to taste
Prep: Preheat oven to 400 and spray a cookie sheet with olive oil spray (I did the foil method).
1. Salt chicken drumsticks with 1/4t. salt.
2. Put crumbled Fiber One into a ziploc bag. Add remaining 1/4t. salt, then 1 1/4t. black pepper, 3/4t. garlic powder, 3/4t. onion powder, 3/4t. oregano, and 1/4t. chili powder. Shake to combine and set aside.
3. In a bowl put the 1/4c. egg sub. Dip legs in the egg, then put in seasoning bag, shake, then place on cookie sheet. Repeat for remainder of legs.
4. Bake in oven for 20 minutes, then carefully flip. Bake another 15-20 minutes or until crispy and cooked thoroughly.
Breakdown per 2 drumsticks: