Tonight was New Years Bunco..so I made 2 healthy dishes! This was a new one and originally called for raspberries, but since I don't care for them, I replaced them with strawberries. I got it from the book below (p. 208) and it was a big hit!! Definitely would make this one again!
* 4 Tbsp. granulated sugar
* 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
* 1/8 tsp. salt
* 1 1/3 cups 1% milk
* 1 egg (I used egg beaters)
* 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 1/2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping
* 1 (3oz.) package lady fingers, each broken in half
* 3 cups fresh berries
1. In a medium nonstick skillet, whisk the 4T. sugar, 1T. cornstarch, and 1/8t. salt.
2. Add the 1 1/3 cups milk and stir to blend. Cook over medium, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles and thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. In a small bowl, combine the egg with 1/4 cup of the hot mixture; stir to blend.
4. Add back to skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to bubble, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and cool at least 5 minutes. (That is where this is in question because when I added the cool whip it melted immediately. Next time I will wait 10 minutes at the least and try).
6. Stir in the 3/4t. vanilla.
7. Fold in 1c. whipped topping until well blended.
8. In trifle bowl, line bottom and sides with 8 lady fingers. Then add 3/4c. berries.
9. Add 1/2 of the custard and then repeat with 8 fingers, 2/3 cup berries and rest of mixture.
10. Top with remaining 8 fingers, and whipped topping.
11. Sprinkle remaining berries then cover and chill for 4-8 hours or overnight.
Breakdown (per 1/2 cup):